○ HempA variety of the cannabis plant species that is grown specifically for industrial uses. Hemp has low levels of THC and high levels of CBD and thus does not have psychoactive properties.
○ CannabisA genus (group) of flowering plants that include three different species: Cannabis sativa, Cannabis indica, and Cannabis ruderalis. Hemp is a variety of the Cannabis sativa species.
○ CannabidiolA non-psychotropic cannabinoid of the cannabis plant. Also referred to as CBD.
○ CannabinoidA class of chemical compounds that react with our cannabinoid receptors.
○ PhytocannabinoidA cannabinoid that is derived from a plant, namely, cannabis.
○ Psychoactive substanceA chemical substance that changes the function of the brain and creates an alteration in perception, mood, or consciousness.
○ TetrahydrocannabinolA main psychoactive cannabinoid of the cannabis plant. Also referred to as THC.
○ ExtractionThe action of removing the cannabinoids and flavors of hemp from the plant parts.
○ Hemp OilOil extracted from high-CBD, low-THC hemp. Hemp oil contains trace amounts of THC and is therefore non-psychoactive.
○ DecarboxylationA chemical reaction that requires heat to remove a carboxyl group and release carbon dioxide. The decarboxylation of CBDa (the precursor of CBD) to CBD “activates” the CBD. This allows us to experience the full benefits of CBD.
○ CapsuleA small container that surrounds a supplement.
○ InfusionThe introduction hemp into another substance, such as food or skincare.
○ PotencyThe strength of a solution. Strength refers to how much CBD is in a product.
○ ConcentrationThe amount of a substance contained within a solution or in a particular volume of space.
○ ConcentrateA concentrated form of hemp oil. Concentrates are oils extracted right from the hemp plant without additives.
○ TinctureLiquid extracts that are taken sublingually.
○ EdbilesFood infused with CBD, such as chocolate or gum.
○ TopicalProducts applied directly to the body, such as lotion or salve.
○ VapeVaporizing the active ingredients of plant material for inhalation.